Cookies and Internet Advertising
See below for information on how to modify the settings in your device to notify you when you receive a new cookie and disable cookies altogether.
Cookies and How We Use Them
Cookies are unique identifiers that we transfer to your device to enable our systems to recognise your device and to provide features such as purchasing, Recommended for you, interest-based advertisements on other Web sites and storage of items in your shopping basket between visits. Any reference to "sites" of our company includes our websites, devices, mobile apps or other software. For information on the controllers of your personal information, see Controllers of Personal Information in our Privacy Notice.
- Identifying you when you sign-in to our site. This allows us to provide you with product recommendations, display personalised content, recognise you as a Prime member, and enable you to use 1-Click® purchasing, among other customised features and services we provide.
- Delivering content, including advertisements, relevant to your interests on our sites and third-party sites. Our interest-based ads are subject to your preferences as described in the next section.
- Keeping track of your specified preferences. This allows us to honour your likes and dislikes, such as whether or not you would like to see interest-based ads. You may generally exercise your preferences through Your Account.
- Keeping track of items stored in your shopping basket.
- Conducting research and diagnostics to improve content, products and services.
- Preventing fraudulent activity.
- Improving security.
- Cookies allow you to take advantage of some of our essential features. For instance, if you block or otherwise reject our cookies, you will not be able to add items to your Shopping Basket, proceed to Checkout, or use any products and services that require you to Sign in.
Cookies and Browser Settings
The Help feature on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie and how to disable cookies altogether. Additionally, you can disable or delete similar data used by browser add-ons, such as Flash cookies, by changing the add-on's settings or visiting the website of its manufacturer.
On our-owned and operated sites and unaffiliated sites, we displays interest-based advertising using information you make available to us when you interact with our sites, content, or services. Interest-based ads, also sometimes referred to as personalised or targeted ads, are displayed to you based on information from activities such as purchasing on our sites, use of devices, apps or software, visiting sites that contain our content or ads or interacting with our tools. Click here for more information about the types of information that we gather.
We do not associate your interaction with unaffiliated sites with your identity in providing you with interest-based ads.
We do not provide any personal information to advertisers or to third party sites that display our interest-based ads. However, advertisers and other third-parties (including the ad networks, ad-serving companies, and other service providers they may use) may assume that users who interact with or click on a personalised ad or content are part of the group that the ad or content is directed towards (for example, users in a particular geographical area or users who bought or browsed for classical music). Also, some third-parties may provide us information about you (such as demographic information or sites where you have been shown ads) from offline and online sources that we may use to provide you more relevant and useful advertising.
Offers you choices about receiving interest-based ads from us. You can choose not to receive interest-based ads from our company. You will still see ads but they will not be personalised. Please visit your Advertising Preferences page to learn how to set this preference. Also, as described above, you may modify the settings in most browsers to notify you when you receive a new cookie and disable cookies altogether.